Nine Mid-Pacific athletes sign to colleges

Questions:

1. What made you decide to choose that college?
  2. What made you decide to continue playing your sport in college?
  3. How will you balance college life with sports?
  4. What are your hopes in the future when continuing your sport?
  5. How have you prepared with school and sports to be able to commit to the college you did?

Hugh Donlon

Track and Field

Wilamette University

1. My uncle went there and my cousins go there, so I knew the college pretty well. I got to visit it and they seemed good academically and athletically and I like the team.
  2. I wanted to see what the next level was like.
  3. It’s definitely going to be busy.
  4. I’m undecided what I want to do in the future.
  5. I try and finish my school work first, so I can go out.

Avery Von Herrmann

Baseball

St. Olaf College

1. I did a showcase and visited for baseball, I went to the mainland. I started talking to the coach and found out that it is a really nice school. They also have the majors that I want.
  2. I just always wanted to play in college since I was little and I also think that playing sports in college helps you get instant friends.
  3. Picking the right class schedule and managing time between doing your homework and going to practice.
  4. I will hopefully take it to the next level but I don’t really know yet.
  5. Mid Pac’s baseball is pretty strong so it really does prepare you for anything. It also teaches you life lessons.

Ka`ehukaiiha`amaina`e Keala

Volleyball

Eastern Washington University

1. It was a full ride and the team was Division 1, and it is also close to home.
  2. I really enjoy volleyball and it is my passion.
  3. We shall see but time management skills is going to be mandatory and it is very effective.
  4. I have thoughts about playing pro in Europe because I know it’s possible for D1 athletes. But if I am over it by my senior year, then probably not.
  5. Working hard in school because I was making sure I had good grades so I could have more broad options for schools. Also going to practice all the time and training.

Brilie Kovaloff

Basketball

Pacific University Oregon

1. I honestly chose Pacific University because it felt right. Just being on campus and meeting the basketball coach, it felt like I was going there already.
  2. Playing basketball is a good release from anything else that may be going on in the real world. Basketball is my life, and I don’t know what I would do without it.
  3. I know I am a student before being an athlete. I need to get help when I need it and make sure to not fall behind.
  4. I’m so grateful to continue to play basketball at a division III level. After college, I am hoping to still be able to play in women leagues and other types of leagues.
  5. I have continued to push myself on and off the court. I knew I wanted to continue playing basketball in college so I kept my mind to it. I was also trying to keep my grades up throughout my high school years, and I am really trying to end the year on a positive note. I know I have work to do, but I believe I can do it.

Michael Petrides

Swimming

University of California Berkeley

1. I visited a couple times and the feel of the campus, the coaching staff, the other students there, I just really felt like it was a good fit.
  2. I really like swimming and I have been swimming competitively since I was about 11 or 12.
  3. Freshman year they have a mandatory requirement for a certain amount of hours in the study hall.
  4. I want to take swimming as far as I can and whether that is the NCAA Championships, the Olympics, or normal meets throughout the year but I want to make sure when I’m done with swimming I did everything that I could.
  5. It was big for me to set aside time for only swimming, I would completely isolate myself from all social media, friends, and TV.

Emma Porter

Volleyball

Wilamette University

1. I like the area of the school which is Salem, Oregon. I also wanted to stay on the west coast, so I wouldn’t be too far from home.
  2. I played volleyball for 10 years and didn’t want to finish playing after high school. I’ve always wanted to play at the next level.
  3. I met with my team when I recently visited and I noticed that they help each other with school work and hangout with each other outside of the gym. My team will be apart of my college life.
  4. I hope to win a volleyball championship.
  5. A lot of hard work for my academics and athletics has helped me get to this point. Had to make many sacrifices, but it was worth it.

Kylie Rdechor

Rowing

San Diego State University

1. The team and the coaches as well as the location, California is really nice and close to home.
  2. Sports have always been a part of my life since I was a little kid and I want to continue that in college.
  3. It would take a lot of sacrifice which I am used to with high school sports and academics.
  4. I plan on rowing for all four years of college but no plans for after college.
  5. It took a lot of motivation and sacrifice and putting my head down and doing the work, and I knew that if I did the work it would pay off and it has.

Shyla Sato

Volleyball

Wilamette University

1.  I knew I wanted to continue my career playing volleyball while also attending a school where I can focus on achieving a good education.
  2. Since I was young I would dream about playing volleyball in college. It was easy for me to decide to continue playing because of how I discovered my love for the sport at an early age.
  3. Since 7th grade I had to learn how to balance academics, volleyball, cheerleading, track, and hula, so I was used to having a busy schedule. I realized that I have to be organized with my class schedule, practices, and games.
  4. In the future I hope to continue playing volleyball or even help teach others how to play volleyball. I owe a lot of appreciation to my coaches for inspiring me and for helping me to discover my love for the game.
  5. I prepared by achieving good grades all throughout high school and by being a coachable and respectful athlete. I have learned to always study hard and prioritize school before athletics so that I could receive academic scholarships to help me pay for college.

Amy Warrington

Track and Field

University of Hawaii

1. I’ve always had my eye on UH since I was younger as a possible college but once I went to watch their practice and meet some of the girls I knew that was where I wanted to be.
  2. I started to develop a lot faster than I thought I would as a sprinter and I started to love the feeling of the adrenaline rush during meets. 
  3. My schedule in college will hopefully be going around my track schedule but it will be something that I have to experience before knowing.
  4. I just want to see how much more I can develop and be able to reach my fullest potential during my college years.
  5. I’ve been making sure to use my free time wisely and plan ahead to finish my school work. For track I started training earlier this year and I’ve been pushing past my limits and practicing at my best as much as possible.