Na Pueo

Gamers can’t keep their eyes off Nintendo’s portable console

Michael Tam, an 11th grader plays on the Nintendo Switch. 
Photo by staff photographer Kayla Marutani.

Michael Tam, an 11th grader plays on the Nintendo Switch. Photo by staff photographer Kayla Marutani.

Siena Usui and Kayla Marutani

With their attention focused on the colorful graphics on the screen, students tend to tune out the rest of the world. Even though the Nintendo Switch was released in 2017, teenagers are still stuck on the console.

Two students were so intent on the video game that they wouldn’t even look away from the screen as a Na Pueo staff member interviewed them.

“It’s more high tech and has better graphics than any other console,” said 11th-grader  Justin Li.

Despite a price tag of nearly $300, students say that its portability and high quality graphics makes it worth its price.

“You can play it on the TV, so you can take it on the go, or play it at home with your family,” said 11th grader Michael Tam.

Having such an easy to carry video game device has never gone to this full extent. The Switch can be portable or be used as a home console.

“A lot of the most popular games are coming out onto the switch and they’re ditching the old console [Wii U] ,” said Justin Li. “It’s more high tech and has better graphics than any other console,” he said.  

The Nintendo Switch was the best selling console of 2018, selling 22.9 million globally since it was launched in March 3, 2017. It’s sales have surpassed GameCube and Wii U, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

During lunch and after school, students often play on the Nintendo Switch in groups, clustered together.   

Grade 10 student Chazz Gaspar said he thought Nintendo marketed the Switch effectively to all age groups. 

“They’ve been advertising to the young adults, but I do think at the same time kids will see the “big kids” are doing this and they’ll think it’s cool,” he said.

About the Writers
Siena Usui, Photography Editor

Siena Usui is a freshman and a first-year journalist for Na Pueo. She is also the Photography editor. When she has free time she enjoys hanging out with...

Kayla Marutani, Staff Writer

Kayla Marutani is a junior and a first-year journalism writer. To her, the role of a journalist includes: effectively and clearly communicating news to...