Speed cubing club popularity rises at speedy rates this year

Kayla Marutani , Staff Writer

Speedcubing members gather inside the library lab to compete in the monthly cubing competition: twisting the six-sided cube is a process that club members can complete in just seconds.

“I started the Rubik’s cube club to give students to the opportunity to develop their cubing skills at school and in their community; and so they can have a chance to compete in the international level,” said 10th grader and club president Hitoki Kidahashi. 

Speedcubing competitions have become an international event, with the world’s fastest cuber completing in 4.904 seconds, according to The Guinness World Records website. In addition, the American record 4.904 seconds and state record 5.58 seconds. 

Along with Kidahashi, 10th grader Seita Katayama helped to establish the club. He said that he found speedcubing to be “unique compared to any other clubs in the school” and cubing “differs itself from anything else”. 

“The most enjoyable part about running the speed cubing club is to be able to watch other members improve rapidly,” said Katayama. “I like how we can analyze and reflect on our past results,” he said. 

The popularity of the club has increased this year, said Kidahashi. There are currently 12 students in the club, which is up 9 students from last year. 

Along with the club competitions in school three of the students from Mid-Pacific’s speedcubing club participated  in the International Japan Championship for speedcubing this past winter.

“[Entering the championship has] helped me to think strategically and competitively,” said Katayama. 

Katayama can complete the cube in 8.64 seconds.

Along with competing, Katayama said from the competition, he met different people from different backgrounds who  all share a common interest of speedcubing. 

“I felt honored and awesome that [I was able to] represent Mid-Pac” said Kidahashi.